EDMONTON, AB – As the temperature gets warmer and energy levels rise, there is no better place for summer fun than Northlands. From horses tearing down the track at Northlands Park Racetrack & Casino to exciting new programs at K-Days, Northlands has non-stop entertainment throughout the summer months.
Northlands Park Racetrack & Casino
The first bugle will sound for the Thoroughbred racing season on Saturday, May 6 and the action continues through the summer with a number of exciting events:
- Opening Weekend – The sport of kings returns on May 6 with opening weekend highlights that include a live Kentucky Derby simulcast, food trucks and prizes ranging from a new TV to travel vouchers. Make sure to stay and experience the May Casino promotion.
- Park After Dark – Edmonton’s largest patio party features sun and fun at the races every Friday night starting June 2.
- Family Day – Families are invited to come down to Northlands Park Racetrack & Casino for Family Day on June 24. Families can enjoy plenty of games, giveaways and the fan-favourite wiener dog races.
- Retro Day – Enjoy this tradition and take a trip back in time on July 8. This event features classic cars, music and chances to win prizes.
- Canadian Derby – On August 19, the final Canadian Derby will take place. You don’t want to miss this chance to see action, talent, and fashion combine at the conclusion of an exceptional era of horse racing glory in the city of Edmonton.
Thoroughbred races run every week throughout the season with Wednesday and Friday races at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday races at 1 p.m. (please note Wednesday night races will not take place until June). The May long weekend will have regular racing on Friday and Saturday as well as a special race day on the holiday Monday. Holidays and special events may affect race times throughout the season. Please visit northlandspark.ca for schedule and updates.
Northlands has plenty of exciting summer events happening throughout its 160-acre campus this summer. Mark these dates in your calendar and join us for the best in summer fun.
- Dean Brody – The Canadian country music artist will hit the stage at Northlands Coliseum on May 26. You will not want to miss this multiple-award winner on his Beautiful Freak Show Tour. Get your tickets now at ticketmaster.ca.
- Edmonton Craft Beer Festival – Come join us on June 2 and 3 for an event that connects breweries, distilleries, restaurants and beer enthusiasts. You will have the chance to increase your beer knowledge and sample some of the over 400 types of beer on site. For more information and ticket details visit albertabeerfestivals.com
- Porkapalooza – Be on site at Northlands on June 10 and 11 as BBQ teams from across Canada compete for $16,000 in prize money. Experience BBQ culture, learn new techniques and enjoy a variety of food vendors. The event is primarily sponsored by Alberta Pork and partners with Youth Empowerment and Support Services (YESS), Ronald McDonald House and AdaptAbilities. The event is free to attend.
- WWE LIVE Summerslam – WWE Live returns to Northlands Coliseum with the WWE LIVE Summerslam Heatwave Tour on June 16. This will be your chance to see your favourite WWE Smackdown Superstars live. Featured wrestlers include: AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, The Uso’s, Dolph Ziggler, Becky Lynch, Natalya, Charlotte Flair and more.
- Cirque du Soleil presents KURIOS – Cirque du Soleil returns to Edmonton in 2017 with its most acclaimed touring show, KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities™. KURIOS will premiere under the iconic blue-and-yellow big top July 20 in the parking lot outside of Northlands Coliseum. The show runs until August 13 and is presented by Sun Life Global Investments. Tickets are available now at cirquedusoleil.com.
- Alberta Open Farm Days at Northlands – This public event is hosted at Northlands’ Urban Farm at 79 Street and 113 Avenue on August 20. Guests have the opportunity to learn where their food comes from through ticketed and free events that demonstrate the vibrancy of the Alberta agriculture industry. Free events at Northlands include tours of our very own Urban Farm, urban agriculture demonstrations, onsite culinary workshops and a variety of kids’ activities. Stay tunes for additional program details or visit albertafarmdays.com.
When the K-Days gates open each July, fair-goers know to expect great rides, great food and great entertainment. This year’s event will feature all the elements you know and love, and more.
The highly anticipated K-Days Parade kicks off the festivities at 10 a.m. on Friday, July 21. The route will begin at 97 St. and Jasper Ave., travel west down Jasper Ave. and finish at 108 St.
Last year, Northlands continued a tradition of honouring volunteers or professionals who have gone above and beyond in our community with the Local Heroes Contest in partnership with Global Edmonton. This year, the torch will be passed to four new local heroes who will serve as honourary parade marshals in the 2017 K-Days Parade.
Categories for the contest are Community Builder, Community Mentor, Young Hero and Champion of the Underdog. Winners will receive $2,000 towards a charity of their choice and four K-Days Ride All Day Passes. Nominations can be made at k-days.com/outdoor-fun-food/parade/local-hero-contest, and the contest closes on May 31.
For a second year, K-Days will host a Pow Wow from July 25-27. The event is a three day competition and will be one of the largest Pow Wow competitions in Canada. There will be drum and dance competitions, and Northlands’ reigning Indigenous Princess Brittney Pastion will pass on her crown during the final day of competition in the Northlands Indigenous Princess Pageant.
K-Days will host Pride Day on Friday, July 28. There will be LGBTQ+ programming, additional musical acts and more to celebrate and support our diverse community. We are honoured to partner with the Edmonton Pride Festival Society for this special event at K-Days. Further details will be available in the weeks leading up to K-Days.
Cowboys and cowgirls will kick up the dirt at Northlands Coliseum from July 21-23 for the K-Days Rodeo. The K-Days Rodeo is the richest CPRA-sanctioned one-header rodeo in North America. You won’t want to miss the finest rodeo athletes vying for their take of the more than $400,000 purse. Northlands Coliseum will be incorporated into the K-Days grounds, and fair-goers can use their K-Days admission to opt-in for rodeo performances starting at 6:30 p.m. on all three evenings. K-Days Rodeo performances will have limited capacity, and event-goers will access seats on a first come, first served basis.
K-Days is known for bringing an incredible lineup of musicians to Edmonton every summer, and this year is no exception. From July 21-30, K-Days will feature high-caliber performances at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to entertain you well into the summer nights. We are proud to host the following artists at the 2017 K-Days:
July 21: 7:30 p.m. – Jojo Mason 9:30 p.m. – Uncle Kracker
July 22: 7:30 p.m. – Tebey 9:30 p.m. – Cold Creek County
July 23: 7:30 p.m. – Dan Davidson 9:30 p.m. – Corb Lund
July 24: 7:30 p.m. – Repartee 9:30 p.m. – Alan Doyle & the Beautiful Gypsies
July 25: 7:30 p.m. – Pop Evil 9:30 p.m. – The Glorious Sons
July 26: 7:30 p.m. – The Spoons 9:30 p.m. – April Wine
July 27: 7:30 p.m. – The Zolas 9:30 p.m. – July Talk
July 28: 7:30 p.m. – Rae Spoon 8:15 p.m. – Crystal Waters
9:00 p.m. – CeCe Peniston 9:45 p.m. – Betty Who
July 29: 7:30 p.m. – Scenic Route to Alaska 9:30 p.m. – Sam Roberts Band
July 30: 7:30 p.m. – Alx Veliz 9:30 p.m. – Alessia Cara
You will not want to miss these impressive acts, and you’ll be able to catch all the shows at one single stage for 10 days of exhilarating entertainment. Stay tuned for details on the stage location. Approved artist photos can be found at dropbox.com/.
K-Days advance tickets are on sale May 5 starting at 10 a.m. through k-days.com only until July 20:
- 10-Day K-Pass: $45 (save up to 75% on Gate Admission)
- K-Days Ride All Day Pass: $47 (includes Gate Admission)
- Single Day Gate Admission: $15 (for all ages 7+)
- Group Rate Ride All Day Pass: $42 (includes Gate Admission, for groups of 25 or more people)
Advance tickets give event-goers the opportunity to take in all the action at K-Days for less. Advance tickets can be purchased through k-days.com, at all Ticketmaster locations, at Ticketmaster.ca and by phoning 1.855.780.3000. For more details about K-Days tickets and programming please visit k-days.com.
Please note: Purchase of any ticket that covers Gate Admission will allow you to opt-in for K-Days Rodeo performances. You will receive a separate rodeo ticket with a guaranteed seat if you choose to opt-in. Should you choose to forgo your rodeo ticket at the time of purchase, you will still have an opportunity to attend the K-Days Rodeo by requesting a rodeo ticket at the gate. K-Days Rodeo tickets are subject to availability and can only be guaranteed through advance ticket purchase.